Individuals living with anxiety disorders have difficulty dealing with many everyday situations. While feelings of tension and extreme stress are natural in circumstances that present real danger, people with anxiety disorders have a heightened sense of fear and constant worry in their daily lives. They may experience excessive worries or episodes of intense anxiety. Other anxiety symptoms include exaggerated fears, intrusive thoughts or compulsive behaviors, flashback memories of a traumatic experience, panic attacks, and distressing physical symptoms. Coping with day-to-day events often becomes overwhelming, and individuals with anxiety may avoid familiar people and places. Anxiety disorders can lead to debilitating reactions that prevent someone from enjoying normal activities and leading a fulfilling life.
Anxiety disorders can result from several causes and often are a response to stressful life events. Dr. Daniel and Dr. Irene Swerdlow-Freed are well versed in the treatment of anxiety disorders and can help individuals improve coping skills through talk therapy, cognitive and behavioral techniques, relaxation exercises, and stress management.
Anxiety disorders include:
- Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD)
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic attacks and panic disorder
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Social phobias and social anxiety disorder
Anxiety symptoms may occur in other behavioral or emotional issues including:
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Autistic spectrum disorders
- Bipolar disorder (manic depression)
- Manic behavior and mood swings
- Premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) and post partum depression